Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Strawberries!

The end of June marks Strawberry season here in Maine. Strawberries are one of my all time favorite fruits so when I heard that our local strawberry farm was open to the public, I couldn't wait to go.

We had a last minute change of plans this morning, so Mairead had one of her preschool friends over for a play date. Afterwards, we all headed over to Maxwell's Farm in Cape Elizabeth to go strawberry picking. I would be lying if I told you I wasn't worried about how this "outing" was going to go over with my four children. I knew Mairead and Lilah would be easy, but I didn't know how the hell I was going to accomplish picking strawberries, chasing a 21 month old toddler and making sure my 11 week old wasn't suffocating in his pouch!

When we got there, all the kids got their own quart container, and I grabbed a HUGE cardboard tray. The big girls would fill their quart container and then dump everything in my tray. Of course, their faces were dripping red. It must have been one strawberry in the container and about 5 shoved in their mouths! As far as Clara went, she did really well, and actually didn't run off. She surely ate more strawberries than anyone there and her face, hands, arms and clothes were proof. Of course, Clara wouldn't be Clara if she didn't try to remove a piece of clothing in public. Thankfully today, it was only her shoes. Yep, she was walking around in the strawberry fields with bare feet. Another extremity covered in red strawberry juice!

Mairead and Lilah had fun exploring with their friends, and I had a blast, too! Today was the perfect day for strawberry picking - overcast, but warm!

So now we have a whole lotta strawberries! I am going to make some homemade strawberry sorbet, maybe some ice cream? and well, I don't know....but we have a lot of eating we need to do! I have to say they are soooo good this year! Super juicy. Super sweet! Just perfect! I love days like this that aren't planned out, but end up perfect!


















1 comment:

  1. I love strawberry season! I always make tons of jam with what we pick. Enough to last us a whole year and I haven't had to buy storebought jam for a few years now - it's definitely cheaper to make your own!

    ReplyDelete

Have a COMMENT or QUESTION? Leave one here!