I don't know about you, but I love pinterest. Sometimes I wish I had all the time, money, talent and resources in the world to do all the cool things on there! We came up with an idea for a "hanging bed" - and headed over to Ana-White Homemaker, a resource for building homemade furniture, etc. It is a great website! We found a family who built something very similar to what we wanted to do on this blog. We used these plans roughly, but will give you a pretty good idea of what you need to do. We also attached it to the wall a little differently, too.
The coolest thing about the bed - the cost! After paint & materials, the total cost was just around $100! Not too shabby! It took us about a weekend to build - the longest part was prepping the wood - sanding, priming, painting, etc.
|First, Kevin built the frame. This was pretty easy!|
|He screwed all the pieces together - with the help of Clara, of course!|
|......and a little help from Callum, too!|
|He was very intrigued!|
|I used Bin for all of the knots in the wood, then used a Benjamin Moore Primer before sanding down the frame.|
After it was all sanded, it was time for some Impervo White from Benjamin Moore.
|I did the same to the planks as I did the frame. I used bin for the wood knots, then used the primer , sanded with a very fine piece of sand paper and then put two coats of paint on.|
|Here is Mairead (top) and Lilah's (bottom) bed|
|Mairead's bedding from Garnet Hill|
|The girls room|
|So, we noticed some stretching of the rope, so Kevin placed a small cable to prevent any sagging of the bed, and then replaced the rope.|
All in all, a very successful and fun project that looks uber cool!