Monday, September 17, 2012

12 Miles.

Two weeks from yesterday I will be running in my first ever half marathon! I can't believe it's so close. On Saturday, I ran my first ever 12 miles. Straight. No stopping (except for a quick pee break and another quick one to help a fellow runner struggling). I averaged about 10:20min/mile. Never in a million years did I ever think I would be able to do such a thing. Each and every week I continue to amaze myself with distances I never thought possible and paces I never though I would ever achieve without dying. I remember when I first started running. I could barely make it to my mailbox without getting winded. I remember wanting to die after running for a mere 60 seconds. And now, I am running 12 miles. Two hours. Straight. And feeling good!

I have really, really, really enjoyed this training. It forces me to get out of my house. Take 30 or 40 or even longer minute breaks all to myself. I enjoy training with my friends. I feel so energized. I feel like I can do anything and it's a glorious feeling. I even got up willingly at sunrise to run 12 miles on Saturday morning with my running group. Yeah. I told you I was sick!

Not only am I running this half marathon for myself, but I decided to run the Maine Half Marathon for a purpose. September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month. I set out in July to raise $250 for the Maine Children's Cancer Program. I wanted to help local children and families fighting cancer. After the death of my dear friend, Jolenne, I wanted to do something. I had to. As of today, I have raised $385 with the help of my awesome family and friends! I have had many generous donations and am so proud of all of them and their support! Every time someone donates money, that is more of a reason to push myself to run.

I would love to raise my goal to $500 by my race on the 30th. So if any of you reading are compelled to help a mom of 4 to run her first half marathon and help support the Maine Children's Cancer Program, please visit my personal fundraising page!

Every dollar counts. Money is tight for everyone. Please help me support this amazing program!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a COMMENT or QUESTION? Leave one here!