Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Privacy? What's that!?!

Well, it's official. I think everyone in the world has seen my junk. After three kids and now, three cervical cerclages, countless vaginal exams, countless vaginal ultrasounds and anything and everything in between, I think my "business" is no longer my business.

Some say after you give birth you stop caring about who sees you naked, but what about after experiencing all that above? Yeah. I really don't care. I might as well give my body up for science! Once you walk through the doors and check yourself into the hospital you give up any and all "privacy".

This morning, I checked myself into Maine Med for my scheduled cervical cerclage. I got up at 5am (well 3am really, but who's counting) and got dressed. Shower? Why bother. Hmmmm...what to wear? Who cares, I am just going to have to wear one of those huge gowns that are definitely not designed for privacy nor a 114lb pregnant woman. Seriously, who makes these things? I might as well just be naked because they bare all anyways. I feel as though my bare ass is hanging out or my chest is exposed. Lovely. So incredibly violating.

Once I met with the nurses, doctors and anesthesiologists, it was time to head back to the OR (operating room). I climbed over to the table and had my spinal anesthesia placed. The last time I had a spinal (with my last cerclage), I ended up getting a spinal headache a few days after. Let me tell you, that is like no headache you've ever had before. I told  the doc and they noticed I had been stuck three times for my spinal (the more sticks you have, the higher risk of a spinal headache). Luckily they got it on the first time. Once it was in, I laid down on the table. My legs and belly felt heavy and numb. I hate this feeling, so out of control and ugh....It just reiterates why I choose to go with 100% natural childbirth. Then, the nurse tells me she's putting my legs up in these huge ass stirrups - yep, my junk is just right there for all to see. The catheterize me to get my pee out, clean me up and then the doc is ready to insert a huge ass speculum into my va-jay-jay to tie me right up. Jealous yet? Yeah, it's that much fun. At this point, I have the doc, the resident, the nurse, the anesthesiologist, the nursing student and OR tech all there...watching. I could feel my body getting jostled as the doc placed the cerclage. I couldn't feel a thing, just that something was going on down there.Thankfully the nurse anesthetist was awesome and we chatted away.

The procedure itself was short - about 45 minutes. Once they were done, they closed up shop and cleaned me up. By this point, I have absolutely NO feeling from my high waist down. They did a quick ultrasound to check on our little bean and there he/she was moving all around. I guess the bean felt all the action below!

After the OR, I headed to the PACU (post anesthesia care unit) for a few hours until the feeling in my legs came back. Thankfully, the nurse hooked me up with a TV and I was able to relax and watch The Today Show. Unfortunately, Kevin couldn't be there with me.   I had some cramping and the nurse offered me tylenol or fentanyl - wow, feast or famine....wasn't there anything in between??? I so wanted the fentanyl so I could just sleep and knock myself out, but I opted for the tylenol - if I could only take some fentanyl home! Once I had feeling, I was moved to the final stage before I was allowed to go home. I had a snack and was reunited with Kevin. I didn't stay there long before I was discharged home.

So, here I am at home, relaxing on the couch! The girls were excited to see me home. My mom and our neighbor were able to help out with our girls. Our neighbor graciously came over at 530am to watch the girls while Kevin brought me to the hospital so I didn't have to drive myself, and then my mom got here about 8am to help get the girls ready for the day. I am so glad we have such wonderful family and friends who are willing to help out.

The next 24-48 hours are the most serious - if anything major is going to go on, it will generally happen during this time. Thankfully, the risks are low this early in pregnancy, so I am optimistic. I am not sure how I am going to stay put on the couch for a few days when I feel normal - but I'll do whatever it takes to have a healthy little baby! Thanks to everyone for their support and offerings of help.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah...there's no dignity in this. Especially that lovely position they put you in for the surgery. Just try to look cool like that!

    I had on my bright red slippers, much to the amusement of everyone in the operating room. They all called me Dorothy but it's hard to click your heels when you have no feeling in your legs.

    I'm glad things are going well for you so far.

    ReplyDelete

Have a COMMENT or QUESTION? Leave one here!