Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Speeding by reason of Insanity?

Today was one of those days.

I'm tired. I need a break.

Mairead has been great today. Lilah not so much. Her behavior has been less than spectacular these days and I am just not sure what is going on. We are trying to be consistent but sometimes it seems as though she could care less about consequences and when when we do take something away, she appears very apathetic. Trying to find something that will really impact her to behave appropriately has been tough.

Today, I gave her a warning. Her response "No" -  in a very sarcastic manner.

Me: "Two strikes"

Lilah: "Uhhh, No."

Me: "Three stikes, Lilah, and you've lost movie night"

Lilah: "Oh nooo (sarcastically), I will watch a movie"

She just doesn't care. We were late for gymnastics and I still had to change Callum, wipe Clara's butt and make sure we had everything to get out of the house.

We get in the car. Clara wouldn't get in her car seat. Ugh.

We're off to gymnastics and we will be late. I hate being late. I hate feeling so unorganized and rushed.

We're driving along, the kids screaming and fighting about  which song they want to listen to - of course it's different than what the other one wants. I try to ignore it without screaming and I look in my rearview mirror and what do I see???

Police lights and sirens. Right. On. My. Tail.

Perfect. Just frickin' perfect.

He was pulling me over. Jack Ass. I thought. 


Of course, the kids lit up. Mommy, why is he pulling you over. Mommy, is he going to yell at you. Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, MOMMY. MOMMY

61 in a 45 zone. Sure. Whatever you say officer. You see, this mommy was trying to drown out the sounds of her screaming, fighting children in the back - hey, this was one of the times I wish I had privacy glass! Hell, I could have been going 100mph and I probably wouldn't have known it. Give me a damn ticket jack ass and let me get my kids to gymnastics so they'll be good and tired for the rest of the day.

He tried being nice. Asking me why I had Florida plates. Told him my husband was an active duty Coast Guard officer and we just moved from Maine. Dude, stop being nice and let me get on with my day. He walks back to his car and the kids start blasting me with questions.

Me: This is what happens when you don't follow the rules. 


Mairead: Are you going to get a ticket? Can I see the ticket? .............repeat times 100.


Lilah: Why did he pull you over? Were you going to fast? What is he doing now?........repeat times 100


Clara: Goin' too fast maaaaaam? Police man pull you over? ............repeat.....repeat.


All these questions all at the same frickin' time. As if being pulled over wasn't bad enough - getting grilled by your kids was just as bad.

The guy gives me a ticket. And then more questions. Then the biggest question, that I couldn't answer:

Mairead: Mommy, why did you get a ticket and daddy didn't when he got pulled over? 


Me: I don't know. Maybe Maine police men are nicer than Virginia ones.

Court date is in December.. Thinking about bringing all four of my kids with me. It's at 130pm, prime nap time. You think I could plead "speeding by reason of insanity" and they'll just let me have a warning???



1 comment:

  1. "Court date is in December.. Thinking about bringing all four of my kids with me. " YOU SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Have a COMMENT or QUESTION? Leave one here!