Saturday, October 8, 2011

Half of a Year

I don't know about you, but life with kids is equivalent to life in the fast lane. Time goes by fast. Really fast. And when you have a baby, time goes by too fast.

Somehow, our sweet little Callum is six months old already. A half of a year. How is this possible? I know I sound like a broken record, but seriously, where the hell has time gone? How is it that he is 6 months old already? I am not ready for him to grow up. I love having a little baby to snuggle with. To nurse. To hold. To sleep next to. I love having a baby. I love babies. I could keep having them, really, I could...but don't worry, I won't :)

We've been in New England enjoying time with family and friends for the last ten days, which explains my absence on my blog. All of our family and friends cannot believe the changes in our sweet Callum. He is no longer the little baby. He changes everyday. No really, he does.

Callum is so laid back. His demeanor reminds me of Lilah as an infant. Just easy going. Happy just being with you. He may be even more laid back than his sister and I don't blame him. He has so much entertainment going on around him that he doesn't need to do anything on his own. He can roll over from belly to back, but it's only when he feels it is completely and utterly necessary to try - but why does he need to do it on his own? He has three sisters that will come over to him as he is screaming on his belly and roll him over. Yep. No need to even try. Drop a toy? No need to try and grab the toy, he'll just scream and one of his sisters will run over asap and grab the toy for him.

Sometimes his utter laziness worries me. I try not to think about his rough start and everything he went through. I try not to worry that everything we dealt in the beginning is a reason he is so lazy, and not barrel rolling across the room like his sisters did at this age. I tell myself that babies have such a wide range of "normal" when it comes to achieving milestones and the fact that he is progressing is the most important, even if it is slow.

I love that all I have to do is look at the prince to get him to smile, coo, laugh at me. He's just happy being with me. I love it. He is such a good baby, no, really he is. He is so easy. SO easy. I deserve it though after everything he put us through in the beginning. He had me wrapped around his little finger from hello. He loves his sisters. In the last month or so, he has really started to recognize them. He loves when they play rough with him. Clara's favorite line "He's laughin' mamma, he's laughin' at me!" - and he does. Just as I go to say "Clara! BE nice to him"- he starts laughing or has a smile on his face, which makes it tough to say "You're going to hurt him!" - "But maaaaaa! he likes it! he is smiling at me!" - they're right :).

Callum is a pretty good sleeper. He takes two good naps per day. One around 10am for about 1-2 hours and then another around 130-2pm for 2-3 hours. Depending on how well he naps during the day, he may/not take a quick evening snooze before he goes down for the night. He naps in his swing. I've tried breaking him of this habit, but it's just not working, so for now, I am not messing with success. I think once he can roll freely, he'll do great in his crib, but for now, he's in the swing. He generally is more than ready for bed around 730pm. I'll nurse him before Kevin and I head for bed around 1030 and he'll sleep anywhere from 4-8 hours. I never know. Overall, he has an amazing potential to be an awesome sleeper, so for now, I will just enjoy the cuddling at night. It surely won't last forever and I promised myself I would enjoy every last second with our last baby. He is also a "blankey" baby - he loves to snuggle with a blanket every chance he gets - in the car, stroller, bed, swing, you name it, he loves blankets.

I shouldn't have to mention that he loves to nurse. And I love to nurse him. He is nursing every 2-3 hours during the day and I have yet to even start solids with him. He just seems so immature and seems perfectly content on mamma's milk. Probably in the next few weeks, I will start giving him more and more tastes. He has however tried sucking on my apple, and loves it, but that is all he has had. If you were reading my blog when Clara was an infant, you may remember how lazy I was to start solids with her. Yeah. It will be a while before he is getting solids on a regular basis. I want to keep him little as long as possible :)

So, I just can't express how lucky we are to have such an amazingly sweet little prince. I can't hold him enough, love him enough, and snuggle with him enough. He's just so good. We are so lucky to have him with me. I honestly try each and every day to enjoy him because soon enough, he will be running around with his big sisters and not need his mamma so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a COMMENT or QUESTION? Leave one here!