Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Martha Stewart. NOT.


I am trying to be good. Honest, I am, but sometimes I wonder why I even try! 

Like most of us, I have been trying to cut back without cutting back on healthy foods. Our Tuesday/Thursday evenings are horrid right now. Because we have three kids in swim school on the same day (to avoid going 4 days per week) we do not get home until close to 7pm. It sucks. And I don't want take out, so I have been trying to meal plan and do things that I can use my crockpot or just pop in the oven that will take less than 10-15 minutes to cook. I don't want to be eating a big dinner at 8pm.

Yesterday I bought an organic roaster chicken. The plan: to make two chicken noodle soups. One for tonight, and the other for a night next week. When I got home from shopping, I popped that chicken right into my crockpot to cook for the rest of the day.

Today, made the broth. I spent what felt like forever picking apart the carcass. I chopped the carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes and split the broth/chicken into two. One for tonight. One for next week. Perfect.

I opened the freezer to place the extra broth/chicken in - and spilled some. Had to remove shelving and clean it. I don't have time for this I thought. Little did I know that the mess I had just made was nothing in comparison to the mess I was about to make.

So, then I started heating up the veggies in the broth, but then remembered the last time I did this, the veggies were too hard for Callum to eat. 

I had the ingenious idea to take the crockpot out of the heater, and place it on the stovetop so I could hard boil it for about 10 minutes to get those veggies to soften a bit before I put the crockpot back on. 

I set it on high and walked away for about 5 minutes. As I was modeling the two new dresses I bought today for Kevin, I hear some strange noises. We both jump up, and I just figure it was boiling over.

But, it wasn't. 

Kevin takes pot holders to remove it from the heat, and as he does this, the bottom literally falls out. The soup contents are literally spewing all over, and the broth is all over the place. The mess really is as bad as it looks in the photo, actually worse. You can see how hot it was - as the steam was just insane.

The broth was everywhere. We had to move the stove, clean drawers, the inside of the oven, all over the countertops, and in the midst of this, we had to get ready for swim school, wake three sleeping children up, and get them pottied and ready to go......

Thankfully, dinner for tonight wasn't ruined, but the dinner for next week is....thankfully there was enough leftovers to put some individual servings in the freezer for the kids to have.

Ahhh, next time you hear me talk about "planning ahead" just tell me to stop. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a COMMENT or QUESTION? Leave one here!