Thursday, June 17, 2010

Just another day...Just another day in the Funny Farm.

It's no secret, I've always loved kids and I have always dreamed of having a household full of them. Sure, they're a lot of work, and can cause a lot of headaches, but, at the end of the day, I would choose to do it all over again. In a heartbeat.

Yesterday, I was on the phone with a good friend of mine. She was telling me she was in a bind for childcare today. I offered up my "services". She quickly thought I was insane, but when she didn't have any other option for her kids, she took me up on my offer! The girls were so excited their friends would be with us for the entire day to play! I was actually excited, too! When I woke up, I noticed Phoebe, our almost 7 year old lab, had a bloody neck. It was pussy and just painful looking. Every time she shook, blood splattered everywhere. Great. A houseful of kiddos and a dog that probably needed a vet visit! I felt so bad for her. She is usually so stoic, but today, she was sad. Who says dogs don't have emotions!


The kiddos (4.5yrs & 2) arrived right about 815am just as I was cleaning up Phoebe's neck. Before things got out of hand with the crazy crew, I sat them all down and told them the rules. Play Nice. Put away toys. No ransacking the playroom. No hitting. Listen. Share. And then, the kids were off. I had our sitter come over at 930am for a few hours just to have an extra hand. Once Clara fell asleep, I took Mairead and Sam (the two oldest of the bunch) to a local farm to buy some fresh strawberries, salad mix, tomatoes and eggs. It was a fun, quick trip! When we got home, we played outside until it started to rain. I was ticked. It wasn't supposed to rain when I had 5 kids to entertain! After some quick thinking, I thought it would be fun to make cookies. Of course, the kiddos thought that was a great idea!


Once all the kiddos were summoned inside, we got ready to bake cookies. I'll admit. Cookie-baking with 2 kids is much easier than cookie-baking with 4 (Clara doesn't count here!). Every other second it was something like... "don't put your hands in the batter" - "don't lick your fingers" - "keep your feet off the table" - "don't eat the butter" - "no, you can't have more batter" - "don't stand on the chairs" - Thankfully our sitter was still there to help contain the beasts! I really can't complain though - everyone had a blast!

While the cookies were baking, we made the hungry kiddos lunch! They all did great. Once they were done, so were the cookies, and boy! did they enjoy them! It was obvious by their chocolate covered faces. When lunch was done, the kids relaxed and watched a few minutes of TV while I cleaned up. They were tired! Jackie (2yrs) was sucking her thumb while wrapped up in her little blankey. So sweet. I put her down for a nap, and didn't hear a sound out of her. Then, Lilah crashed. Then, Clara crashed. Mairead & Sam watched Madagascar on the couch together for some quiet time.

I was so proud of myself! Three sleeping kiddos and two resting ones - all at once. And no tears. Wow. Maybe 5 kids isn't so bad after all! :) Honestly, it was great because the kids all enjoyed each other. Minimal tears - (only tears shed were those of my daughter!). No fighting. and lots of fun!

By then, Kevin was home in time to take Phoebe to the vet. She was miserable, and needed to be seen, so off they went. $100 bucks later. Two medications. Diagnosis: Massive Cellulitis.

Once all the kiddos awoke, we got ready and headed outside! Thankfully the rain stopped and the kids were able to let some energy out. Lilah of course had to go outside in her tutu with her baby stroller. Jackie followed suit with her stroller & baby. Mairead & Sam rode their bikes together!

Overall, a successful day with 5 kiddos under 5......and a sick dog. Just another day at the Funny Farm.....and you know what, I'd do it again!




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the day turned out pretty good after all ;)
    I hope Phoebe is better soon.
    With kids, I say the more the merrier. Most of the families in my church are large, and well behaved at that! I enjoy watching my friends kiddos sometimes even four or five @ a time plus my two and it's definitely an adventure but the kids have so much fun and sleep so well @ night after a full day of play. And it's nice to know your helping out another momma. Lord knows we all need a hand sometimes. And I have noticed that the older kids are so helpful with the little ones. It definitely makes me think "Hey I can do this."

    ReplyDelete

Have a COMMENT or QUESTION? Leave one here!