Friday, November 5, 2010

Housekeeper or a Nanny?

If you could have either a housekeeper or a nanny which would you choose?

As I enjoy [and I use that word sarcastically] another rainy November day, I look around me and see floors that need to be washed, sheets that need to be changed, clothes in the dryer that need to be folded, clothes in the basket that need to be put into the washer, dishes in the sink from baking and toys all over the place - not to mention countless other things. 

You see, I'm one of those moms who can look past those things and continue playing with my girls. Believe me, it bothers me to see shit everywhere sometimes, but some days, I just have to let it go because there are other more important things than cleaning. I know some days Kevin comes home and sees dishes in the sink and probably thinks 'What the fuck?' - but honestly, I pick up from lunch and say, I'll clean up during rest/nap time....and sometimes, I get sidetracked with having my own lunch, or some other project that I just don't have time. I'm not being lazy.....well, usually :)

So, this strikes the question. If your husband came home and said you could have a housekeeper come once per week or you could have a nanny (not full time), which would you choose? 

I think for me, it is obvious. A housekeeper. Hands down. I am lucky enough to have someone come in about once per month to clean, but that just isn't enough. My house needs to be deep cleaned every week, and I just don't have the time or the ambition to tackle a 3-4 hour job. I would love to have my house kept clean (not tidy) every week so I could have time to tackle other little projects that need to get done. 

Some days, I think I would love a nanny. Like today. I'm tired, stressed and just don't have a lot of patience....though, I've done fairly well in the 'domestic' department - I've tackled a few loads of laundry, baked some cookies with the girls and cleaned up a little....even though you would never guess I had because I have three little rug rats who tow right behind me and start all over again. I enjoy having an occasional babysitter come over while I am home to clean or to tackle little projects, but lately, I haven't had that luxury. 

So, for now, I choose my kids over my house hands down. I love being home with my kids. I love playing with them. Watching a movie with them. Baking with them. Being silly with them. I don't want someone else doing that. I want a housekeeper so I can spend more time with my girls rather than saying "not now, mommy needs to.......right now"....I'll have to just live with a little bit of a mess and avoid breaking my neck by tripping on toys! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Steph, your posts are always so timely. I guess it's because we are in the same stage of life. My friend Bethany and I were just discussing this same thing when I was visiting her thursday. There is just not enough time in the day. And I can't do it all. And I'd rather neglegt the house than my children. I'd SO rather have a house keeper, but I really can't afford to pay someone 20 bucks an hour to clean for me. So I have a mommy's helper come once or twice a week to play with the girls for a few hours in the afternoon on either Mon or Fri, or both depending on how crazy my week has been. The girls love it and I can get a lot accomplished in those few uninterupted hours a week. It's my sanity break ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I do too - completely worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Have a COMMENT or QUESTION? Leave one here!