Monday, September 5, 2011

A Weekend of Happenin's

Ahhhh....long weekends how I love thee!

Labor day weekend brings a lot of mixed emotions. Kind of sad because it's the unofficial end to summer (my favorite season), the start of school and the gateway to fall, but happy because it brings a lot of wonderful memories of our wedding anniversary weekend back in 2005.


This weekend was filled with memory making, fun with friends and relaxing moments.

On Saturday, we enjoyed an afternoon with friends. Kevin fired up the grill and did a pork butt, I made some homemade Mac N' Cheese and tried out yet another new recipe from Pinterest called Cinnamon Roll Cake. Kevin's friend, Brian, was here from Florida and it was great catching up with him! All the kids had a blast playing together, eating lots of food and wearing each other out!

Sunday, Kevin and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary! It's hard to believe we have been married for six years. We've accomplished a lot in those six years, too! Two moves. Four children and countless other memories - both good and not so good! I am so grateful to have married such a wonderful man, and an amazing father to our beautiful children. The last 6 years have truly been the most awesome years of my life!

For the day, we spent the day as a family, took a family nap together and just enjoyed being together. In the morning, we did a little shopping and the girls talked Kevin into buying them a new fish! They were so excited!!! While Kevin napped, I wrote in our journal. You see, a friend of mine, gave me a great idea for our first anniversary to keep a journal where we write a note to each other at each anniversary to reflect on the past year and life. It's been a wonderful thing that I truly look forward to doing each and every year. I also love reading back to our first entries and see how much Kevin and I have grown as a couple AND as a family!

That evening, we had a babysitter and went out on a date to celebrate. We had reservations at The Melting Pot nearby and enjoyed a quiet, romantic dinner together. We shared our journal entries to each other and enjoyed uninterrupted conversation. It was a really nice dinner!

Today, was more of the same...family time. Since we are expecting some intense rain over the next several days, we spent the morning grocery shopping and playing outside. Kevin and I were able to get a chance to go out for a run. While the littles napped, me, Kevin helped the big girls paint their birdhouses. It was a lot of fun and the girls did a great job! The girls learned a little about colors and what happens when you mix certain colors. Mairead was fascinated that yellow and blue make green! After that, the girls wanted to do some "schoolwork" so we did a little bit! Too cute, I wonder how long they will keep asking :)
The big girls show off "Rainbow" the new fish

Clara fascinated by Rainbow

Mairead painting her birdhouse

Lilah painting her birdhouse

Two beautiful birdhouses

Overall, it was a really nice, relaxing weekend together. I love weekends like these...

Oh, and Happy Anniversary, Kevin! I love you so much...


1 comment:

Have a COMMENT or QUESTION? Leave one here!